Test Case Creation
This is the initial phase where we collect and analyze the requirements from a testing point of view and identify the testable requirements. Our dedicated QA team may interact with various stakeholders (Client, Business Analyst, Technical Leads, System Architects etc) to understand the requirements in detail. Requirements could be either Functional (defining what the software must do) or Non-Functional defining system performance/security availability.
This phase is also called Test Strategy phase. In this stage, a Senior QA manager will determine effort and cost estimates for the project and would prepare and finalize the Test Plan. Task to be performed in this phase:
- Preparation of test plan/strategy document for various types of testing
- Test tool selection
- Test effort estimation
- Resource planning and determining roles and responsibilities.
- Training requirement
Test Case Development
In this phase we create new test cases, test scripts for automation testing and review them for their consistency and compatibility. We then create test data on client’s test environment. This phase is an important phase as it involves creation, verification and rework of test cases & test scripts. Below are the things which will be delivered in this phase:
- Create test cases, automation scripts (if applicable)
- Review and baseline test cases and scripts
- Create test data (If Test Environment is available)
Test environment decides the software and hardware conditions under which a work product is tested. Test environment setup is one of the critical aspects of testing process and can be done simultaneously with test case development stage. This stage may not require test team if the if the customer/development team provides the test environment in which case the test team is required to do a readiness check (smoke testing) of the given environment. Things we perform in this phase are listed below:
- Understand the required architecture, environment set-up and prepare hardware and software requirement list for the Test Environment.
- Setup test Environment and test data
- Perform smoke test on the build
During this phase test team will carry out the testing based on the test plans and the test cases prepared. Bugs will be reported back to the development team for correction and retesting will be performed.
- Execute tests as per plan
- Document test results, and log defects for failed cases
- Map defects to test cases in RTM
- Retest the defect fixes
- Track the defects to closure